background

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Our Own Picasso

Since starting preschool Morgan has done a ton of artwork. Most of it is cookie cutter type art that her teachers give her and the other kids and they all put it together the same way. It is adorable artwork and we cherish it, but literally she brings home at least three pieces a day! So three pieces a day times three days a week times eight weeks of school, that's like 72 pieces of artwork already. Okay, we might not have that much, but we are close. We of course can't save them all, so I have started to take pictures of each piece (at least the good ones) and I am going to put together an artwork book using one of the online scrapbook sites at the end of the year.

In the meantime there are those select few pieces that I just can't bring myself to trash. One of them Morgan actually made at home a few of weeks ago. One Saturday morning bright and early (It was my day to get up with her; yes we rotate days since Morgan is such an early riser) Morgan informed me that she wanted to paint. I said that was a great idea and set up her easel, stander, paints etc.. So off Morgan went painting her picture. Every time Morgan does artwork we always question her about what she is making so this particular morning was no different. Here is how it went:

Me: Morgan, what are you making?
Morgan: a giraffe.
Me: oh, how neat. What else are you painting?
Morgan: A turtle.
Me: Oh really? Where is the turtle?
Morgan: right here (she pointed to a purple spot she had made).

The conversation continued in this manner for a few more seconds with Morgan continuing to tell me about her painting. I was so excited! This was the first time she had ever verbalized what she was making and she was going into such detail. Now I began to think this was just another fluke and that she was just saying all of this to appease me, but a few hours later when David woke up we showed him the same painting and guess what, she told him exactly the same thing!

I knew this was a painting I would want to save since it marked such a memorable moment for Morgan's development so I grabbed a sharpie, dated the painting, and labeled each thing she told me about in the painting. Here is her masterpiece:

About a week ago we had Donna and Charley over for dinner. I was telling Donna about all Morgan's artwork and decided to pull some of it out ( I hadn't done a recent photo shoot of all the work so it was piled up). As we were going through the pile of artwork we came across this painting again. It had been at least two weeks since Morgan had seen it, but as soon as she saw it she shouted to Grandma that is was her giraffe. Then, when we pointed to the other things she identified them all:
Me: What is this purple spot?
Morgan: a turtle
Me: Oh, and what is this tall thing right here?
Morgan: my giraffe
Me: And what is the giraffe doing?
Morgan: Tree, eating.

I was shocked that she remembered all of this. It is so amazing watching her grow each day and seeing all the new things she is learning. She has reached that stage where she remembers EVERYTHING! It is a good and bad thing some times. In fact, her memory is very good, but her sense of time is not the best right now. We have learned not to tell Morgan about exciting events (birthday parties, people coming over, etc...) until right before it is about to occur. Hence why I still haven't told Morgan about a very exciting upcoming event: We have our next trip to Philly in two weeks and my dad and stepmom are going to surprise Morgan and pick us up at the airport in Philly! We are then going to spend all day Sunday at Sesame Place starting the day with breakfast with Elmo! I can't wait to see her face when she spots them in Philly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...