background

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Morgan's Chair!!!!

So as many of you know a few months back we applied for Morgan to receive a power wheelchair. Well, while we were in TN we received AMAZING news. Morgan was approved for her chair!!! We were so excited that our insurance company agreed to pay for her chair. Not only is this a power wheelchair, but it is the top of the line. It is a permobile K450. This chair not only drives, but it also has an elevator function that will allow Morgan to lower herself to 3 inches off the ground or raise herself to counter height. I really wanted her to be able to get this chair so that she can truly experience independence. Also, this chair is supposed to last 5 years, so she will be 7 and in school before we can apply for another one. With that in mind I wanted Morgan to have the ability to lower herself to the rug for carpet time, be able to fit at any height table like in class or in the cafeteria. Ultimately our goal is for Morgan to be able to walk (most likely with the help of her walker) in small areas like the house and classroom and to use the chair for long distances.

Anyway, we were set to go today to get Morgan's chair. We were all so excited, David even took the day off to go. When we (Grandma, Grandpa, Morgan, David, and I) arrived this morning at our appointment we were unfortunately told they would have to cancel. Apparently one of the functions of the chair was not operating correctly 100% of the time so they could not release it to us. However, thanks to her persistent Grandma, we were able to test drive the chair. David, Donna, and Charley had never seen that chair before, so they were excited to check it out. Morgan loved it! She discovered fairly quickly how to make the chair go up and down. She really like to make it go up and even drove it at its heighest position. I think she liked being almost as tall as her mommy. We even got to test drive her chair outside. They wanted Morgan to have the chance to feel what the chair did on ramps and bumps, so she drove over a few speed bumps. At one point while going over a speed bump she began to lower herself at the sametime (accidentally). It took me a few seconds to catch on to what was happening because at first I thought she was just going down the bump, but then she just kept going down! We decided that for now we are going to have them place the controls for the up and down function on the back of her chair for David and I to control. That way she can first work on mastering the art of driving.
We are set to go back next Thursday when hopefully they will have fixed the problem. In the meantime we have began the search for an official "mommy mobile." Yes, that's right, I am finally going to get my minivan. We decided the little Honda Civic just wasn't going to be practical for hauling at 311 pound wheelchair. Once we find the right van we will be having an arm lift added to the back so that we can transport her chair. In the meantime if all goes well after our appointment on Thursday they will deliver her chair to the house. We will be sure to take lots of video of Morgan in her new chair learning how to drive. In the meantime we have a couple of photos from today's visit.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! That is an amazing piece of machinery! I can't wait to come visit and see how independent she is getting! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I'm so happy for all of you...I'm glad insurance approved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan looks great in her chair! I love it! I can't believe how much she's grown since we saw you last year........she's adorable! Love the pigtails. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...