background

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

THANK YOU Angels!

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I was working with Morgan's TROT program on a grant. Basically back in early January the director of the TROT program approached during one of Morgan's lessons and told me that they were applying for a grant through a local charity called "Angel Charities." They were trying to get funding to expand the work that Jess, Morgan's OT, and the horses of TROT have begun. They want to start a TROT for TOTS program that would provide a full clinic setting (OT, PT, and speech) along with hippotherapy to children ages 2-6. Something that is greatly needed in our community. Anyway, they were working on this grant and wanted to know if one, they could use Morgan as an example of a child who has benefited from the program and two, if I would speak at their presentations to present a parent's point of view. I was of course honored to have been asked and said that I would be more than happy to do what I could to help them.
So that was back in January. Since then there have been three rounds of presentations. At the first presentation I spoke (for about 5 minutes) to a group of 30 women about our family's experience and how TROT has helped Morgan. After that presentation we made it to the second round. I did not speak at that presentation so that they could focus solely on the clinical part of it. Since it was the same group of 30 women they already knew our story and didn't need it repeated. After that presentation I received a phone call from Jess letting me know that we made it to the final round!!!

That was this morning. I took the day off of work and headed over with the others from TROT (there were 4 of us in all presenting) to LaPaloma Resort (beautiful!). Today's presentation was a bit more nerve racking. There were over 100 (mostly women) in the room. My part of the presentation today again focused on our story. I shared a bit about what things were like in the first few months of Morgan's life and then spent most of my time focusing on all the amazing things Morgan is now doing thanks to all her PT, OT, Speech and TROT (especially Jess and Monty).

Well, I am very happy to say that just a few moments ago I received a phone call from the director of TROT. They received the grant!!!!!! With the money received they will be able to now proceed with their plans to open a full clinic that offers PT, OT, and speech to children ages 2-6. They will also be able to put in a small adaptive playground (so the kids can learn skills like climbing in a fun way that will then transfer over in everyday skills like climbing a stool to brush their teeth at the sink) and two more horses for the hippotherapy. I am just so excited for them and for the families that will benefit from this clinic. It is just so amazing! So thank you to all those amazing "Angels" who are looking out for kids like Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...