It all began Thursday afternoon. Morgan knew we were going on a trip and that there would be a BIG surprise, but she didn't know what. We had wanted to wait to tell her so she would sleep for the last month. So Thursday afternoon around 1:15 we finished loading the mini van and headed in to Tucson to pick David up from work. We then made the drive to Phoenix and met up with my sister, Jen, her girls Caity and Lindsey, and her husband Mark. We had dinner at the Chipo.tle along the I-10 and 101. Originally Jen and the girls were going to follow us to Cali, but Thursday morning David pointed out the fact that since we decided not to bring the wheelchair we could technically fit my sister and the girls in the van with us. It would be a bit cramped for the person in the way back (we can only fold up one single seat back there due to the lift) and they would have to sit among all the luggage. Anyway, Jen and the girls decided they didn't care that it might be tight, they would rather ride with their cousin, enjoy some movies, and save the gas money. So... we met up with them at dinner. The girls had been texting me all week wondering when we would be telling Morgan or if she had found out yet. At one point I texted back and told them they could reveal the big secret. They were so excited. So after some yummy food the girls went up to Morgan ready to spill the beans. David captured it on video, but it is too long to post. It was priceless. You could see the wheels in Morgan's head turning trying to comprehend what they were telling her. It went something like this:
Lindsey: Morgan, do you remember we have a big surprise for you...
Caity: Well, we are going to...
The girls together: Disneyland!
At this point Morgan's face looked a bit confused, like I know I should like this but I am not sure what that means so Lindsey continued.
Lindsey: You know Mickey Mouse.... Do you want to go to his house?
Morgan: Yeah!
Caity: And you know who else will be there.... Nanny and Pa!
Morgan instantly began squealing. Things were beginning to click and she was so excited. Right there in the restaurant she started shouting and squealing about Disneyland, Mickey's house, and seeing her Nanny and Pa. It was so cute.
We then loaded Jen and the girls in the van, said good bye to Mark and were on our way. I drove with Jen up front keeping me company. We stuck David in the way back so he could relax, the poor guy had been up working until 2 the night before and had gotten up at 5 for work. I thought with only 3 hours of sleep it was best to let him rest and not allow him to drive.
The drive there went pretty fast. At one point we had just about every electronic you can imagine going in the car. Morgan's portable DVD player, the girl's i.pods and nin.tendoDS, along with David's phone streaming net.flix, and David working online on his laptop. Jen and I wondered how our parents ever survived long trips because even with all that going on around 9:15 Caity began asking every 10-15 minutes if we were there yet.
We finally arrived at the hotel around 10:15. My dad and JoAnne were still awake waiting for us. Morgan had fallen asleep in the car around 8:30 and would usually stay awake...but not that night. She was so excited to see her Pa and Nanny that she woke up for about 30 minutes until everyone was settled and ready for bed. My dad and JoAnne had gotten us this great hotel suite to share. It had a master bedroom, a full kitchen with living room and pull out sofa, and another bedroom with two double beds and a bathroom. Caity and Jen braved the pull out sofa while David and Morgan shared one bed and Lindz and I curled up in the other. We were all tuckered from the long drive and planned to hit the park when it opened.
That night I barely slept. It was like I was a kid so excited to go to Disneyland. I was so excited... but going to Disneyland as a parent adds a whole new excitement to the mix. I didn't care what we did, which rides we went on, etc.. it was all about seeing how much Morgan would enjoy it that I couldn't wait for. I was pretty sure she would LOVE it!
Boy was I right. Morgan had the time of her life at Disneyland. Her face just lit up the whole time. I am so glad we decided not to bring her wheelchair. It was way too crowded for it, plus with so much to see she would have been very distracted and she would have tired out even faster than she did. Instead we opted for the stroller and threw her walker on the back. This worked out nicely because when the crowd was small we could put her down and still get some exercise in for the day.
Since we were going to Mickey's house that is exactly where Morgan wanted to go first, to see Mickey. In the package my Dad and JoAnne bought they received vouchers for early entrance into Toon Town. Although we only made it there about 20 minutes before it opened for everyone having the early entrance really helped. There was hardly anyone in there. The first character we spotted was Donald Duck. Morgan was very excited to meet him (she loves laughing at him on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse), but unfortunately when we got in line to meet him we were told the family in front of us was the last of the day and we should try back tomorrow. Morgan wasn't too disappointed because I told her we would come back first thing tomorrow and we moved on to Mickey's house. There was hardly anyone in line and Mickey was standing right at his doorway so we were able to get up there pretty fast. Since we would be waiting in line (which moves fairly slowly) I thought this was the perfect time for the walker.

Morgan spotted Mickey around the corner and her face lit up.
Getting Mickey's autograph. My sister had a great idea of making a book for Morgan after the trip with a picture of her and each character next to their signature.

Morgan told Mickey that she was Minne Mouse. He gave his Minnie a kiss. It was so sweet.
Getting Mickey's autograph. My sister had a great idea of making a book for Morgan after the trip with a picture of her and each character next to their signature.
Morgan told Mickey that she was Minne Mouse. He gave his Minnie a kiss. It was so sweet.
After getting pictures with Mickey we walked through his house. It was practically empty since most people either just left after seeing him or walked through very quickly. Morgan took her time and walked through most of the house. We were in there almost 45 minutes, but it paid off because while she was still walking through she saw Mickey two more times both coming and leaving from his break. After Mickey's house we met back up with Jen and the girls who had taken off while we were in Toon Town to do some "big girl" rides.

Still in Toon Town we ran into Goofy on our way out. Caity and Lindsey are such great big cousins. They helped Morgan with getting autographs and posed with her for several pictures.
Before leaving Toon Town Morgan convinced David to take her on the roller coaster. She loved it so much they went two more times. She tried to go with the girls when they showed up, but it was down at that time. We then headed to It's a Small World, and then the Pirates of the Carribean. After that we enjoyed some lunch and then more rides.


Morgan's favorite ride of the trip was the Matterhorn. This was the only true roller coaster she was tall enough for and she loved it. She kept saying "I saw a Monkey." Meaning the abominable snowman. As soon as the ride ended she asked David to go again. We went on it two more times total during the trip. At one point Morgan asked me if she could ride California Screamin. I told her she was too small and she was very disappointed. She said " how 'bout the Matterhorn then." Too cute.By the afternoon of the first day Morgan was very tired, but hanging in there. She did not want to give in and take a nap. We decided that while the big girls went on some big girl rides we would head back to Disneyland (from California Adventures) to enjoy the parade. That had been one of Morgan's favorite parts of the day at Sesame Place so we were pretty sure she would enjoy it. I knew that to get great seats we would want to camp out early and we also needed to get right out of the park after the parade to make our 5 o'clock dinner reservations (when in a party of 8 you need reservations to get right in). So we found a nice spot in the shade (thank goodness, who knew you would get so hot in 75 degrees, that sun really is warm). David and my dad found an ice cream shop for us while we held our spot.

Morgan decided to stroll around for a bit while we waited for the parade to begin. I think she thought she was part of the parade. She kept marching up and down the way. It was so cute and great exercise for her.
As I figured Morgan loved the parade. She danced the whole time. Her favorite part was the princesses, especially when princess Repunzel looked right at her and waved. You should have seen the smile on her face. It was at that moment that I decided that I would for go an hour and a half of my day the next day so my child could meet her. Yes, there is an average wait of 90 minutes to meet Repunzel. She is a popular girl right now. After the parade we headed to the Grand California for dinner. Then back to the park for more playing. By this point Morgan was pretty tired. It was almost 7 and getting chilly. We spent some time shopping in downtown Disney. My dad and JoAnne bought Morgan and Lindsey matching sweat shirts to stay warm (Caity opted for a hat). We decided to split up for a bit since the girls wanted to hit some big rides and Morgan was about to crash. David and I walked with Morgan back to Fantasyland. I had wanted to buy Morgan a Repunzel wig as her souvenir with the hopes that she will wear her Repunzel dress from her birthday for Halloween. By the time we made it to the shop she was out. She slept the rest of the night barely even budging to get her pjs and braces on. We stayed at the park until about 9:30 that night heading out just before the fireworks so we could beat the crowd. It was an amazing day and we couldn't wait to do more the next morning.


We were all pretty exhausted from our first day, but I had promised Morgan we could meet Donald Duck so we were all up bright and early again. This time I set my alarm 15 minutes earlier (5:45) hoping that that extra time along with knowing where we were going today would get us there faster and we would be able to meet Donald. WRONG. We showed up at almost exactly the same time as the day before and again we were told sorry this family in front of you is our last of the day. Morgan was crushed. I very sweetly asked the girl if he would be at Goofy's Kitchen tonight (we were having dinner there) and she said no, but you can come back here tomorrow. I explained that that was what we were told yesterday and that this was our last day in the park. She then very kindly offered that Donald would need a "walking buddy" to walk with him on his way to his break. I think Morgan enjoyed this way more than just getting his autograph. She is still telling everyone she sees how she walked with Donald.

After that we hung around Toon Town for a while enjoying the roller coaster again. This time I think Morgan went on it 8 times in a row. After a while the guy working the line told us we could just go out the exit and turn around and come right back in the handicapped entry rather than continuing to walk all the way around (there was no one in line). By the 8th trip we were all tired of the ride, except Morgan, but we convinced her to check out Goofy's House.
By this time it was about 9:45 so I headed over to get in line for Repunzel. She would be arriving at 11. I am glad I got in line when I did. There were already about 15 people ahead of me and the line started growing quickly. While I waited David and Morgan went on rides in Fantasyland. About 20 minutes into the wait they opened up the official line. We moved forward and I was one group away from shade (DARN!). After another 20 minutes or so my dad and David stopped by with Morgan to say hi and ask if I needed water. I said sure and then told them that I spoke with the guy working the line and he said they wouldn't have to cut through the line at 11 because it curled around to the front where you meet Repunzel. Anyway, the group in front of me heard me say 11 and asked me why. I said well that is when she arrives. They thought the line was just taking a while because she was on break. They didn't feel like waiting another 40 minutes so they left.....heaven! That put me in the shade for the next 40 minutes and made the wait bearable. At 11 the door to Repunzel's tower finally opened. I expected the line to move quickly, but it did not. It was so SLOW. Once we were inside I realized why. They really give each child and their family plenty of time to not only take pictures with her, but to talk with her as well. Morgan was so excited and very pleased that Eugene (Flynn Rider) was there as well. She was really hoping to meet him too.
Notice Morgan pulling on her braid. It was too cute, like she was saying I have long hair like you.
We had forgotten her wig in the van, bummer.
After that long wait I was in need of some water and food. We decided to take a break with the family and enjoy some lunch. The plan was then to ride the Matterhorn one more time by Morgan's request and then head over to California Adventures for the afternoon. During lunch I mentioned something to my dad about dinner and he realized he forgot our dinner vouchers at the hotel. He and JoAnne decided to take off after lunch to get them and take a nap (We began to wonder if he forgot them on purpose. They were so tired. They had been there since Sunday with JoAnne's two sons and their kids).After the Matterhorn which Morgan enjoyed thoroughly and did "hands-up" we headed to California Adventures. Within a few minutes of entering the park she was fast asleep in the stroller. David and I went off from Jen and the girls so Morgan could relax. We found a quiet spot where the next Pixar Pals performance would be and enjoyed a cold soda.
Morgan woke up just in time for the show. While we watched the show David being the great uncle he is took Lindsey on the Tower of Terror. No one else would dare go on it. Morgan and Caity loved the show. We then all went to watch the Disney Dance Crew. That was great and Mickey made a surprise appearance which Morgan really enjoyed. At the end the crew invited kids from the audience up to dance so Caity and Lindsey went up. They then decided they wanted to see the next Pixar Pals performance to try to get in the show. Caity and Lindsey did manage to get in (I don't have any pictures of it right now). They did a great job and really hammed it up.While waiting for David and the girls on California Screamin we ran into Jessie. We waited for her, but of course we were just a little too late. But the goodnews was they said Woody would be right there so we didn't meet Jessie, but we did get to meet Woody.
After that we headed over to dinner at the Disneyland Hotel to Goofy's Kitchen. I highly recommend character dining to anyone with young kids. It was so great and the food was wonderful too.

She then surprised us all when in ball gown and all she sat right on the floor and offered to hold Morgan for a picture. That made Morgan's trip. She was in heaven. A lady from the table next to us looked at me and said "If that isn't pure happiness I don't know what is. "
By the time we finished dinner it was 8:30. The kids were tired and the adults were wiped. I still wanted to experience more of the park, but my body was telling me I was done. With every step I took with my legs felt like jello and my back ached something fierce. We decided to take the walk through Downtown Disney to the tram and stop on the way for souvenirs. The girls are really into the pins and trading pins. They had bought Morgan a Repunzel pin earlier in the day so David and I told them they could each pick out a pin from us. By the time the fireworks began we were loading back on to the tram for the parking garage. It had been an amazing two days and we were all ready for some rest.
The next morning we all slept in til about 8. We then enjoyed some breakfast and packed up our things. We headed down to Hunnington Beach to play for a bit before heading home.
The next morning we all slept in til about 8. We then enjoyed some breakfast and packed up our things. We headed down to Hunnington Beach to play for a bit before heading home.

After playing in the water we walked out on the pier to Ruby's for lunch. It was then time to hit the road. By the time we finally got on the road it was 3. We split up for the ride back with Jen and Caity riding most of the way with my Dad and JoAnne. We took Lindsey and Morgan expecting them both to sleep most of the way. Morgan napped for about an hour and Linz just curled up and enjoyed a movie or two. Just outside of Phoenix we took Jen and Caity back in our car. We were planning on meeting Mark at Chipo.tle again for a late dinner before heading back to Tucson. My dad and JoAnne were too tired and also knew a faster way to their house before the 101. By the time we finally got home that night it was after midnight. We were exhausted to say the least. It was such an amazing trip and we are so thankful for my dad and JoAnne for making it happen. I love that Morgan is building such wonderful memories with her grandparents, aunt, and cousins. She truly adores them all and is such a lucky girl to have such an amazing family.














Hi
ReplyDeleteMy name is Jenna and I came across your site. morgan is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. He is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and love it when people sign my geustbook,. I wish I could go to Disney more then just a day.
I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com