background

Monday, January 25, 2010

Preschool Here I come!

I can't believe how fast the time has gone. It seems like just yesterday that we were bringing home our tiny 5 lb 4 oz little girl from the NICU. But now look at her. She is a very bright, happy little girl who is so excited for school. Today we went for our transition meeting to begin preparing for Morgan to exit the AZEIP program and enter the Vail Inclusive Preschool. Morgan was so excited to be going to preschool today. When we pulled into the parking lot she started shouting "Mommy, preschool! Mommy, preschool!" As we entered the preschool other kids were leaving as the morning classes had just ended and Morgan stopped along the way to say hi to every kid she saw.

Today's meeting was just the first of three to begin getting ready for next school year. We basically just discussed where Morgan is at and what services she will need while at school. We also made plans for evaluations to be done and for her future meetings. It was decided that it would be best for Morgan to attend the preschool at Cienega High even though this is not considered her home base school (technically she should go to the District office school as her home school would be Acacia, or in her case Sycamore where I teach). Anyway, they decided Cienega would be best due to the playground and Morgan's wheelchair. I didn't argue with this because not only did I agree that the playground there is safer, but it is also literally around the corner from our house.

The next meeting will be in April when Morgan actually will go into a classroom to work with the teacher, speech pathologist, and other kids so they can observe how she will interact in the classroom. After that we will have an IEP meeting in May and then she will start preschool in July and will attend three mornings a week for three hours each day.

Morgan is so excited about school. I know if she could have gone today she would have in a heartbeat; she just loves being around other kids. I am sure I am going to have a much harder time than her when it is time to officially start school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...