Last week on Thursday, at 29 weeks and 6 days I had my last ultrasound. It was scheduled for 9:30 and I still needed to get my glucose test done. I decided to head in early to do my glucose test while Donna waited back at the house with Morgan and David went in to work. The plan was that I would sit and read my book I have been dying to finish (the 2nd in the Hun.ger Game.s) and everyone else would meet me at the doctor's office in time for the 9:30 appointment.
Well, unfortunately things did not go as planned. When I arrived at the office I signed in and then headed back for the glucose test. After drinking the lovely sugar loaded drink I headed with my book in hand back to the waiting room expecting to settle into some good reading. About two minutes later my doctor's nurse came out and called my name. I looked at her in surprise and then said, "oh, no, my appointment isn't until 9:30, I am just here early doing my glucose test." To which she replied that she knew that however the doctor had a cancellation and two women in labor. She said she would just pull me back first to do the weight and vitals and then would see. She wasn't positive I would actually get the ultrasound done early. She did advice that I go ahead and call David and let him know. So.... as we walked back to the area where they test the vitals I quickly dialed David. I told him to leave work immediately and to call his mom to let her know as well. After checking my vitals the nurse told me to go ahead and go back to the waiting room and she would let me know.
No more than 2 minutes later she was back out calling my name. As she walked me back to the ultrasound room she apologized for having to take me early, but explained that if I didn't go now they would probably have to cancel because the two women in labor were close to delivering. As I was walking back there my nerves started to get the best of me and I could feel my eyes beginning to water. At each ultrasound we have had we have held our breathe for a few minutes while we anxiously await to see our little girl and see her move. Now I was going to have to go in by myself and I was scared that this might be the time when the news was not as great as it has been and I would be all alone. I think my doctor picked up on how I was feeling as soon as I entered the room, she is so amazing. She calmed me down and assured me that everything was looking great thus far and she was confident that things today would look great as well.
Within a few minutes she had our little girl pulled up on the big screen. She wasn't moving too much at first, the doctor said it was probably due to the glucose drink I had just chugged. She said that while most people think a lot of sugar will wake the baby up it in fact usually puts them to sleep initially. The doctor took advantage of this quiet time to quickly gather some measurements of our not so little girl. She said "Wow! you have a big baby on your hands." On that day she was already measuring at 3 pounds 13 ounces and in the 87th percentile for height. That is a big change for her big sister who is barely holding on to the height chart usually around the 3rd percentile. David and I have joked for months that despite the 5 year age gap between the girls that one day this little one will be handing clothes down to Morgan. Anyway, all looked great! Her measurements are good, her organs all look great, she is practicing breathing, and finally woke up and kicked her legs a few times and was moving her arms way up above her head.
We won't see our little girl again until she is here in our arms. I can hardly wait. In the meantime I am scheduled for another appointment on March 26th. I can hardly believe I am already at the point of having appointments every 2 weeks.
As soon as my ultrasound was finished I walked outside to call David and see where he was at. So little time had past that when I called him he had just gotten into his car and started driving (since he works at the U he has a long walk to his car). I told him to just turn around and go back to work, I was done. He couldn't believe it, he totally thought I was lying. Then he got kind of upset and said "I have to call my mom and tell her, I will talk to you later." and hung up! I was so mad at him. I called him back a couple of minutes later and said, "Aren't you even going to ask how your daughter is doing?" He of course apologized and said yes, he wanted to know how she was doing. He said that he was just so upset that he totally missed it. I think he is really bummed that he hasn't seen his little girl since 20 weeks and now won't see her until she arrives.
Morgan was pretty bummed too. She and Donna continued on in to town to meet me since I still had about 25 minutes left to sit for my glucose test and Donna wanted to run some errands after wards. When Morgan came into the office she walked right up to me and in a sad little voice said "I missed my sister. " I showed her the one picture we received and she seemed to get over it pretty fast. Later that day though while talking on the phone with my sister when I was telling her what happened Morgan began whinning "I missed it, I missed my sister."
In the end while David, Donna, and Morgan were all bummed they missed getting to see the little one they were all very excited to hear that she was still looking very healthy and moving her joints! Now we will all just have to wait and see when she decides to arrive!

Here is the one picture I got of our little girl on Thursday!30 Weeks:
I am now 30 weeks and 3 days along. According to some online sites, the little one is about 15.7 inches long and almost 3 pounds this week. Well, we know she weighs more than that so I guess my doctor is right, we may have a big baby on our hands. At 30 weeks her eyesight is continuing to develop and she can now open her eyes and follow light. Her digestive tract is almost fully developed and practice breathing is continuing.
I am now 30 weeks and 3 days along. According to some online sites, the little one is about 15.7 inches long and almost 3 pounds this week. Well, we know she weighs more than that so I guess my doctor is right, we may have a big baby on our hands. At 30 weeks her eyesight is continuing to develop and she can now open her eyes and follow light. Her digestive tract is almost fully developed and practice breathing is continuing.

No comments:
Post a Comment