
When we pulled into the parking lot Morgan yelled, "Preschool! Hooray!" She was so excited!
We first headed to the "Duck Room" where Morgan will be in the mornings on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 7:45-10:45. Her teacher in the Duck Room will be Ms. Terry. I forgot to get a picture of Morgan with Ms. Terry so I will try to get that on Monday. There are currently 11 children in the room and four adults (Ms. Terry, Ms. JoLynn, Ms. Katie, and Ms. Barbara). Although Morgan was not assigned a one-on-one aide, Ms. JoLynn will be there to primarily help Morgan. I went in on Monday and worked with her to show her how to do Morgan's braces. We are so excited to have Ms. JoLynn working with Morgan. I actually worked with JoLynn at Sycamore for the past three years. She is wonderful and is going to be an amazing aide for Morgan.
When we entered the room Morgan headed straight in and wanted to immediately sit down and do playdough at the table. I helped transition Morgan from her wheelchair to a chair at the table and then stepped back to let her play. David and I then spoke with Ms. Terry and got all the paperwork for class while Morgan played.
We then went back to just watching Morgan. I have been telling David for weeks now that Morgan is a peanut compared to the other kids that will be in her class. Well, that night a little girl came in and joined Morgan at the table for some playdough. David looked at her and then turned to me and said, "see, she's not that small. That girl is the same size." Right after those words came out of his mouth we heard her mom say, "No, don't give her playdough. She will eat it! She is only almost 2." David then turned to me and said, "well, maybe you are right."
Shortly after that Ms. JoLynn came in and I was able to introduce David to her. She then immediately jumped in to playing with Morgan. David and I thought it was a great time for Morgan and JoLynn to get to know each other, so while they played we went down to Morgan's afternoon classroom.
When we entered the room Morgan headed straight in and wanted to immediately sit down and do playdough at the table. I helped transition Morgan from her wheelchair to a chair at the table and then stepped back to let her play. David and I then spoke with Ms. Terry and got all the paperwork for class while Morgan played.
We then went back to just watching Morgan. I have been telling David for weeks now that Morgan is a peanut compared to the other kids that will be in her class. Well, that night a little girl came in and joined Morgan at the table for some playdough. David looked at her and then turned to me and said, "see, she's not that small. That girl is the same size." Right after those words came out of his mouth we heard her mom say, "No, don't give her playdough. She will eat it! She is only almost 2." David then turned to me and said, "well, maybe you are right."
Shortly after that Ms. JoLynn came in and I was able to introduce David to her. She then immediately jumped in to playing with Morgan. David and I thought it was a great time for Morgan and JoLynn to get to know each other, so while they played we went down to Morgan's afternoon classroom.

Morgan and Ms. JoLynn. While we were in Morgan's other class she and Ms. JoLynn had fun coloring a duckie picture and then reading some books. Morgan also met the class 'dog'. She loved him.
So while Morgan was hanging out in the Duck room David and I headed down to Ms. Amber's room. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays (since I will be working those days) we are going to try having Morgan go all day. She will go to Ms. Terry's class in the morning and then at 10:45 Morgan and Ms. JoLynn will head down together to Ms. Amber's room. Just like in her morning class there will be a total of four adults in the room. I am not sure how many kids they have. Morgan will do lunch, recess, nap, and then more playtime in there. We are very excited that Morgan was placed in Ms. Amber's class. I know Amber through Sycamore as well. She student taught there two years ago and has a son in third grade there. We are very lucky to have Morgan in such good hands.

Morgan and Ms. Amber playing playdough.
After taking Morgan down to see Ms. Amber's class we headed outside to check out the playground. We were also waiting to see Morgan's friends Brady and Seth. My girlfriend, BJ, recently took a teaching position at the preschool and will be right next door to Morgan teaching the pre-K class (I am hoping that Morgan can be with her next year). Anyway, her son Seth is also three and will be attending the preschool. He and Morgan will be in Ms. Amber's class in the afternoon together. Morgan's other friend, Brady, will also be going to preschool. He will not be in Morgan's class yet (he is not 3 yet, but after he turns 3 he may go into her class). However, both their teachers know that Morgan and Brady are good friends and have agreed to help them hook up to play on the playground. I don't think they will have trouble finding each other though. The second Morgan spotted Brady walking out of his classroom that night she began shouting at the top of her lungs, "Brady! Brady!" Morgan and Brady had fun playing together on the playground, especially playing one of Morgan's favorite games: catch.

Playing catch with Brady.
After our visit with preschool was over we headed home for some pizza with Brady and his family. It was nice getting to spend time with Brady and his parents, Bob and Lisa, and his baby brother Jake. We had not hung out with them in a while. During dinner we were talking about how crazy it is that we first met them at the pool at aqua kids when Morgan was 14 months and Brady 5 months. And now look at them; they are starting preschool together. Bob also pointed out that tomorrow will be their first day of school ever and they won't be done with "going back to school" each year until they graduate college. So crazy to think about!
This weekend we have been busy doing last minute things to prepare for preschool. On Thursday night we picked up some of the teacher's wish list requests so Morgan and I headed out to Target on Friday to buy all kinds of goodies for her classrooms. We were also busy (well, mostly me) completing Morgan's first homework assignment. She was asked to design an All About Me poster for a class book they are making. Too funny that that was her assignment, it is exactly what I used to do the first week of school with my fifth graders. Anyway, I stayed up late on Thursday uploading all my pictures to Walgreens. We then picked them up on Friday along with stickers to decorate her poster. When we got home and started working on the poster I quickly realized there was no way I was going to get all of the pics to fit on the page. I ended up using both sides of the poster; I figured since it is going to be a book we should be able to decorate both sides. Morgan, David, and I sat down together this morning to finish putting it together. Morgan helped put the photo corners on to stick the pictures down.
This weekend we have been busy doing last minute things to prepare for preschool. On Thursday night we picked up some of the teacher's wish list requests so Morgan and I headed out to Target on Friday to buy all kinds of goodies for her classrooms. We were also busy (well, mostly me) completing Morgan's first homework assignment. She was asked to design an All About Me poster for a class book they are making. Too funny that that was her assignment, it is exactly what I used to do the first week of school with my fifth graders. Anyway, I stayed up late on Thursday uploading all my pictures to Walgreens. We then picked them up on Friday along with stickers to decorate her poster. When we got home and started working on the poster I quickly realized there was no way I was going to get all of the pics to fit on the page. I ended up using both sides of the poster; I figured since it is going to be a book we should be able to decorate both sides. Morgan, David, and I sat down together this morning to finish putting it together. Morgan helped put the photo corners on to stick the pictures down.




No comments:
Post a Comment