background

Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Birthday Celebration Fit for a Cowgirl!


Yesterday we celebrated Morgan's upcoming 5th birthday. I just can't believe that in four short days she will be five. It still seems like just yesterday that she was born. Anyway, we celebrated yesterday with a small family party (we wanted to keep it small in case we needed to postpone it at the last minute).

Since my dad and stepmom were here to help celebrate they decided to introduce Morgan to one of their birthday traditions. Every year on her big cousins' birthdays the girls get to do a scavenger hunt at Nanny and Pa's house. Her cousins have told Morgan all about this and she has been anticipating it for a while now. So, my dad and stepmom decided that now that Morgan is 5 she can start a modified version of the scavenger hunt. They made 5 birthday signs each with a picture of something 5 on them and hid them around the house. Morgan was so excited to hunt them down!

Morgan finding one of her 5 birthday signs!



After the birthday hunt and a short little nap (I could hardly believe she took one, but she did stay up til 10 the night before with our community fair) it was time to get ready for her party. This year we were having her party down at Donna and Charley's house. You'll find out why we chose to have it there as you continue reading, but if the title of this post didn't already give you a hint I will tell you that Morgan wanted a cowgirl party.

Our little almost 5 year old cowgirl ready to go to her party. She even wanted her lasso.
 



We arrived at Morgan's party just in time to watch the start of the Kentucky Derby. While Morgan was enjoying the race there was a knock at the door. Morgan got in her walker to answer the door and this is what she found:


Dillon, the pony, had come by to surprise her for her birthday!

Morgan was so surprised. It was adorable to watch her face. At first she didn't know what to make of a pony at Grandma and Grandpa's doorstep.

Morgan giving Dillon a kiss hello.

Morgan of course did not hesitate to hop right on and start riding. She only got off for about 5 minutes the entire time he was there.

Morgan did share her pony friend, but as you can see she 'shared' but never once got off. Here she is giving her cousin Tyler a ride.

And here she is giving her 'best buddy' Lucas a ride.

They had a blast together!

Doesn't she look like an official cowgirl. She was just so happy!

The only time Morgan did get off was to paint Dillon and then to help give him a bath at the end.

While she was painting him Morgan also examined all his tack.

Checking out his cinch.

After the painting it was time for more riding. Lucas decided he wanted to help out by being the lead rope walker.

We wanted to get a pic of all the kids with Dillon, which at this age of course required some of us adults to be in the pic too. Can you tell we were all staring straight into the sun. Morgan and Miss Macie both wouldn't even attempt to look up and the rest of us have the worst squinting eyes. Oh well.... we tried.

Morgan then rode Dillon out to say goodbye at the trailer.

When she got to the trailer she got an extra surprise. Dillon's 'best buddy' Mosie was there waiting to say hello. Morgan decided that he needed some carrot treats too.


After Dillon and Mosie took off it was time to grill up some cowgirl grub and break out the other horse, Cookie. 

Here's Lucas testing out cookie. Love his expression!

Then Morgan had to get on to show the boys how it is done.

Love this sweet face!

Taking a break from being a cowgirl to pretend to be a pirate. Arr!

When our little cowgirl was full and her buddies were well feed we decided it was time for some cake, ice cream, and presents! Donna surprised Morgan with a home-made, gluten free, horse cake! It came out so cute and Morgan was so excited. 

The horse cake Donna made from scratch.

Morgan checking out her cake for the first time.

Happy birthday to you....Happy birthday to you....

Happy birthday dear Morgan....

Happy birthday to you! 


 For those who have been at her party over the past few years you probably remember how much time we spent teaching Morgan how to blow, especially for her 3rd birthday and how much wax was on the cake by the time she finally got it out. Not any more. No practice required. Morgan is now a pro. Before we finished the song she pulled the cake plate over to her, took a deep breathe, and out went her candle. On her actual birthday I may just attempt 5 candles instead of the number 5 she is getting so good!
Can you tell Morgan enjoyed her cake?




Oh my gosh.... a Spl.at the Cat book! I love that my girl loves to read and is so excited to receive a new book!





Morgan had a blast yesterday! I know that if you had asked me 5 years ago if I would ever have a pony at my child's birthday party I would have laughed hysterically in your face and said I would never be one of 'those' moms. Well folks, I am smitten for my little girl and will do ANYTHING to see her smile, so yes.... I am one of 'those' moms. Sorry. Deal with it.

I have to say though I would do it again in a heart beat (not that I really think I will, this was something special for a milestone birthday), but it was so worth it. As I laid with Morgan in bed last night (yes...she is almost 5 and I still have to lay with her each night, but that is a whole other issue for another post)..... as I laid with her in bed last night she drifted off to sleep recounting the day repeatedly telling me how Dillon and Mosie surprised her at her birthday. It was a memory that I know will last a lifetime for her (even if just through pictures).

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...